Need to get rid of mold? Have you been cleaning mold using a bottle of bleach? If you think it’s been an effective product, you should stop and think again. There’s been quite a misconception about how to clean up mold at home, and a lot of it has to do with bleach.
How to Get Rid of Mold
What You Need to Know About Bleach and Mold
One of the most popular misconceptions about how to get rid of mold is to use bleach. When the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) released the protocol about the use of bleach, that protocol was designed for non-porous surfaces only – such as glass and countertops – that do not absorb moisture. The media, however, had a run with it, so there is now this notion that bleach is the cure-all to get rid of mold.
If you use bleach on porous surfaces, it dries up and actually gives mold food source to grow even more. In these instances, bleach fails to solve the critical cause of mold, which is moisture.
How Does Mold Grow?
Mold is found both outdoors and indoors. It can enter the home through open windows, vents, doorways, heating and air conditioning systems, and grow in places where there is a lot of moisture.
The most typical places in the home where mold is found are the attics and bathrooms. When you find mold in the attic, there are a few different sources that could be causing the mold to grow. First, it could be caused by the exhaust of fans from the bathroom or kitchen, which results in moist conditions in the attic. The second factor could be that the attic does not have proper ventilation.
Ideally, an attic should be ventilated equally at its high and low areas. If these areas are not ventilated equally, condensation occurs and the attic will become damp, making it a suitable condition for mold to grow. The third factor causing mold in the attic could be a roof leak from worn or damaged roofing material. Damaged roofing material allows water to penetrate into the home, resulting in mold growth.
The high humidity levels in bathrooms also create mold. Even if your bathroom has decent ventilation, the constant use the shower will create an environment suitable for mold growth. Unsealed tiles also allow water to seep into walls, creating mold in areas that you may not easily see.
In attics and bathrooms where moisture is a constant problem, bleach does little to solve mold growth. So what is the better solution for mold at home?
How to Really Clean Up Mold at Home
For non-porous surfaces – like cardboard, ceiling tiles, wood products and paper products – the best way to get rid of mold is to use an enzyme treatment. An enzyme treatment is like a vapor or mist that can get into crack and crevices to kill the mold.
The great advantage of using enzyme treatments is that it works on a microscopic level. Unlike traditional methods where a remediation company would use scrubbers and have to seal mold-infected areas, enzyme treatments are released in the air. This allows the mist to come into contact will all types of surfaces, making it a highly effective treatment. What’s more, enzyme treatments cost a bit less than traditional mold remediation, because you don’t have to pay for the labor of people scrubbing or sanding your home physically.
There are places in your home that you might not immediately think of when it comes to mold, so the best way to get rid of it is to have a professional assess the situation. Even if you see visible mold, what you see might not necessarily be its source. Professionals are highly trained and have years of experience. This allows them to find the actual source of the mold and solve the moisture problem.
If you suspect there is mold growth in your home, contact RW West Consulting and Inspection Services today. Along with visual mold assessment, we also take several swab tests and air samples for indoor and outdoor mold. We will trace the exact source of mold in your home, and provide you the proper Remediation Protocol along with the lab results.